Tuesday 3 August 2010

Bunting and Union Jacks.

In between two busy weekends at work I have managed to get my bunting finished and make a union jack. I love the bunting but am not that impressed with the Union Jack!

The bunting was really easy to make. I borrowed my mum's cutting board and rotary cutter, I must purchase one for myself as I think I am going to be making a lot of bunting. I am thinking its a great present for friend's children.

I cut out triangles using a cardboard template, using a cutter. I did the bunting double sided, using a zig zag stich, and then trimmed off any excess fabric. I then sewed the flags on to some piping, as it was all that I had. I need some thick ribbon or bias binding to make the rest.

To make bunting, I found that a cheap polycotton matterial was much easier to use that cotton, as its stiffer, and its cheaper. The striped & large spot material was only £1.99 a meter from Boyes. As I had lots left I then made this...


I used a rectangle of the navy spot, and then cut out strips using the cutter again. I think however that the white would look more effective just being white, and its not wide enough on the vertical stripe. I think I will get some white poly cotton and use that instead. Only problem is I've given my the cutter and board back to Mum. I do have her sewing maching now though. We just couldn't work out Doreen's old machine, and I think mum actually broke it trying to show me how it worked. So I now have the use of a new simple machine! Its fab.

That means I have even managed to finsh off my patchwork quilt, backed on to fleece to snuggle with on winter nights. I have ened up bodging it when sewing it on to the backing, the corners are a mess, so I need to sort them out. Though its just for me and it looks nice apart from bunny ear corners, think I should have trimmed them before stitching. Oh well you learn from your mistakes, that's what teaching yourself is all about!

I just want to say a BIG thank you to my new followers and the comments I have got. It makes me so excited when someone comments!

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Your bunting looks great - you can't beat bunting hanging up and so quick and easy to make.
Love the framed Union Jack.
x

The Patchwork Heart said...

Lovely to find another car boot explorer! Thanks for visiting my blog, I have a giveaway you (and anyone else) may like to sign up for!
Heather

background